Friday, November 06, 2009

Naked ambition
Or, the lengths you have to go to to promote a book

Yes. I’ve been negligent. Can you blame me? And this is probably a fleeting visit, impelled by an opportunity too good to miss. I’ve been silent for good reasons. Yet another lousy summer has broken my heart, my will and sealed my gob. There’s only so much moaning even I can do about the weather. 3 pants summers in a row, and I admit defeat, and start to wonder if my book, my blog, my very provocative existence in these sunless isles (sunless in summer that is, which, in my rather nostalgic unreasonableness I maintain the outmoded delusion that this might be the proper season for it), is not contributing to the vile weather pattern that has now set in. And so, I’ve stopped blogging a dead horse, and kept schtum.

Why am I breaking cover and radio silence, now? Because, my friends, I’ve been asked to give a talk about my poor book at the British Naturist Association’s annual beano at a leisure complex somewhere in the north of these isles next weekend, and I thought this is something to share with you.

Talking of which, and you are no doubt ahead of me here, what else am I planning to share? It’s a fair question, given, one of the techniques of conquering nerves about public speaking is to ‘imagine the audience naked’. Not very helpful here, given they will be (potentially 400 of them). Do I imagine them clothed, or do I take the plunge myself, and make my first nude appearance since I essayed it as an amateur streaker all them years ago? I have given the matter much thought. At least 2 seconds worth. It would be rude not to.

Watch this space...(no, that one, what are you like?).

No comments: